[Pgpool-general] best location for pgpool in a 2 machine arrangement

Admin pgpool-info at internode.com.au
Tue May 2 04:53:40 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 13:16, David Boreham wrote:
> Admin wrote:
> >Just wondering if anyone has any testing results to show the best place to
> > put pgpool in a 2 machine arrangement - the first running apache, the
> > second running postgres. Is it preferable to put pgpool on the apache
> > machine or the postgres one? (assuming neither machine is overtaxed cpu
> > or io-wise)
> >
> >ie
> >
> >apache --domain_socket--> pgpool --network--> postgres
> >\__________ host #1 ___________/             \ host #2 /
>
> I like to use this one. Run pgpool on the client machine (PG client, of
> course, in this case).
> That way, you know that the client and pgpool will live and die together.

See this thread for sqlrelay (similar product - possibly similar performance
characteristics)
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=9844257&forum_id=43840

They found a big performance boost when moving the relay (pgpool in my
example) onto the same machine as the database (and thus using a socket to
communicate with postgres).

I am happy with the availability of my apps so I'm just looking for the best
arrangement for performance.

Admin