[Pgpool-general] pgpool.conf max_pool question

Janning Vygen vygen at planwerk6.de
Sun Jun 11 10:20:36 UTC 2006

[sorry if this mail does not correct the correct headers to respond to
it from the archives]

Am Sonntag, 11. Juni 2006 12:13 schrieben Sie:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i am a first time user of pgpool on debian stable Version: 2.5.2-1
> >
> > i configured pgpool like this:
> >
> > # number of pre-forked child process
> > num_init_children = 32
> >
> > # numer of connection pool allowed for a child process.
> > max_pool = 2
> >
> > now i have 64 database connections but all with the same
> > username/database pair, but manual says:
> >
> > "pgpool will make a new connection if there's no user name and database
> > name pair yet."
> >
> >  ps ax | grep 'postgres: myuser mydatabase' | grep -v grep | wc -l
> >  ps ax | grep '/usr/sbin/pgpool' | grep -v grep | wc -l
> >
> >  64
>
> This should be 32. I cannot reproduce your problem here. Are your sure
> that username/database pairs are same?

Yes, i am sure as far as ps ax prints correct lines as shown in my grep
commands above. there are connections from different servers and maybe some
with and some without passwords, but database/username are the same.

> And you should use same
> protocol version. BTW 2.5.2 is the fairly old version. The latest one
> is 3.0.2. Can you try out?

no, because i want to stay with debian stable.

I now set max_pool = 1 to circumvent this behaviour. But i will take a look at
it a again in a week or so. I will report.

kind regards
janning