[Pgpool-general] is there a way out of degeneration mode

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Jan 18 23:30:02 GMT 2006

> I see where there problem is. Sniffing shows it very clearly.
> When postgres sends asynchronous notification to pgpool it
> doesn't forward it to the client right away, but holds it until client
> requests something. Then it sends it along with a query result.
> I.e. you have to poll pgpool for notifies performing something like
> 'select 1' or any other query.
> So it works in your test and it works in my script if I add a query in the
> polling cycle.
> It's not very good because instead of polling local socket I have
> to issue a query that is actually executed on the backend server.
> Any way to have pgpool forward notifies  asynchronously?
> Thanks,

Oh, I got it. pgpool should process incoming notify messages from
backend while waiting for query from frontend.

Can you try following patches?

*** pool_process_query.c	5 Jan 2006 13:08:44 -0000	1.10
--- pool_process_query.c	18 Jan 2006 23:25:33 -0000
*** 857,863 ****
--- 857,866 ----
  		master_slave_dml = 0;
  	}

+ #ifdef NOT_USED
  	return ProcessFrontendResponse(frontend, backend);
+ #endif
+ 	return POOL_CONTINUE;
  }