[Pgpool-general] Multiple access to the same DB

Gabriele Turchi gabriele.turchi at nord-com.it
Tue Feb 7 10:55:41 GMT 2006

Hi.

I'm planning to use pgpool to enhance an existing application adding
some sort of high-availability.

Now I have a producer process and a consumer one, and they are using the
DB as repository and syncronization point.

What is not so clear to me is: can I add a second consumer on a second
server, talking to a _local_ pgpool based on the same database/tables?

More generic: multiple instances of pgpool can be used against the same
(couple of) database(s)?

[Host A] Producer      \
         Consumer A -> pgpool -> Postgres A (client_db)
                            \   ^
                             \ /
                             / \
                            /   v
[Host B] Consumer B -> pgpool -> Postgres B (client_db)

If the Host A fails, a new producer can be started on him, but two
concurrently running consumers under normal conditions may greatly
enhance the speed of the system.

Thank you.
Gabriele Turchi

P.S.: I'm sorry for my bad english.