[Pgpool-general] Master and only one slave?

Jeff Davis pgpool at j-davis.com
Wed Aug 2 22:55:27 UTC 2006

I am using Slony to replicate master/slave and I would like to use
pgpool in front for connection pooling and the load balancing of
selects.

I have a few questions though. First, why are only two servers allowed?
Why not allow load balancing across as many servers as I have? It seems
logical that you could have any number of servers, each with an
arbitrary weight greater than or equal to zero.

What can I expect as far as changes to the way the applications need to
interact? What situations do I need to be careful of where
master_slave_mode does not work like a single server? I understand that
there is a small lag time between the master and the slave (so a SELECT
could potentially return something different depending on where the
SELECT is sent), any other issues?

Also, in the pgpool.conf it says that load_balance_mode is ignored if
replication_mode is false. However, it seems that it also works if
master_slave_mode is true. The website seems correct, are the comments
in the config file out of date?

Regards,
	Jeff Davis