[Pgpool-general] SSL support

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Thu Nov 10 11:08:56 GMT 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 11:14:27PM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> pgpool does not support SSL (yet). However if SSL request arrives,
> pgpool returns error, which in turn applications fall back to non SSL
> mode. You mean, pgpool does not work like this?

Is this automatic behaviour, or is it up to the application
developer?  I'm at the IETF meeting just now, and had a conversation
about the undesirability of automatic unsecued fallback for some
applications just today: you really don't want (for example)
financial transactions to pass unsecured across a possibly hostile
net.  (I suspect such an arrangement with pgpool would be a bad use
case anyway, but one never knows what people are going to do.)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
It is above all style through which power defers to reason.
		--J. Robert Oppenheimer