[Pgpool-general] Suggestion for load_balancing mode

Josh Berkus josh at agliodbs.com
Sat May 21 23:52:53 GMT 2005

Tatsuo,

> It's easy for them since they just do connection pooling. On the other
> hand, for replication servers like pgpool there will be many problems
> with this method. Pgpool should not load balance some SQLs:
>
> 1) DMLs for persistent objects must not be load balanced
>
> 2) Explicit transaction blocks must not be load balanced.
>
> 3) DDLs must not be load balanced.

Hmmm ... again, I think we're looking at specific calls to /*LOAD BALANCE*/
instead of general behaviour.   That is, the application will call:

/*LOAD BALANCE SESSION*/
Create temp table ....
create temp table ...
select ...
/*END LOAD BALANCE SESSION*/

Because you are correct, there is no way for pgpool to know what's coming
next.  Only the application knows.

Mind you, we're probably starting to move into the territory of pgCluster.
But since I've not been able to get pgcluster to work ....

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions