[Pgpool-general] More fun with pgpool errors

Andrew Sullivan ajs at crankycanuck.ca
Sat May 21 20:51:42 GMT 2005

On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 09:15:50AM +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> Oh I see. However it seems it's hard to attack the problem. I think
> even PostgreSQL has the same problem. If postmaster dies hard enough,
> backend(postgres) processes will remain.

Yes and no.  It's true that the postmaster can die and leave children
around; but the interlock prevents the postmaster from restarting,
and the children can't answer _new_ connections (since the new
connections are always a new child process).  What Brad has seen is
that the children pgpool stay around _and answer new connections_,
which makes things much worse.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs at crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
		--Roger Brinner