[Pgpool-general] trouble with switchover

Jeff Hoffmann jeff at propertykey.com
Wed Mar 2 00:22:51 GMT 2005

Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>>I just downloaded pgpool and I'm trying to learn how to use it.  The
>>feature that attracted me to this project is switchover and
>>unfortunately that's the thing I'm having problems with.  I've set up a
>>master and secondary server in the conf file & was able to connect to
>>the master.  I then issued a switch command to switch to the secondary
>>server.
>>
>>When I try to connect to pgpool, I'm still connecting to the secondary
>>server.  Is there something else I have to do to switch back to the
>>master server?
>

> You need to restart pgpool to switch back to normal operation.

Thanks for confirming this for me.  I was under the impression that you
could just signal the daemon somehow to easily switch back and forth
between the two.  Do I actually need to issue two commands (i.e., pgpool
-m fast stop; pgpool start) or is there a way to do it in one command?
I didn't see anything like "pgpool restart" in the documentation.  Also
I tried sending the process a SIGHUP just because some other daemons
will interpret that as a reset/reload configuration, but that obviously
didn't work.  That seems like it would be a handy feature.

--
Jeff Hoffmann
jeff at propertykey.com