[Pgpool-general] pgpool and Slony-I replication

Jacques Caron jc at directinfos.com
Wed Jan 26 14:59:59 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am planning to use pgpool to handle switchover/failover between two DB
servers replicating with Slony-I. I have a few questions, though, and I
haven't found any information on those topics, don't hesitate to point me
to the right place if I missed them.

The goal is to have two servers, without replication by pgpool, maybe with
load balancing, and handle voluntary switchovers (during the nightly vacuum
and other maintenances) as well as unexpected failovers.

Questions:
- in this scenario, pgpool will switch writing from primary to secondary by
itself if the primary fails, right?
- likewise, pgpool will stop using the secondary (and send all reads and
writes to the primary) if it fails?
- what exactly are the criteria for "failure"? No connection? No response
to queries? What are the timeout thresholds?
- will pgpool forget about that host forever, or will it try to connect and
reuse the server whenever it comes back?

- in some cases (during a switchover), reads can start from the new master
right away, but writes need to be blocked for a few seconds. Is there a way
to actually delay them? I.e. not send them to any of the servers, wait
until some event happens (the switchover is finished) and then send them to
the secondary? Reads should be done on the secondary right away, of course.

- how tested are the 2.5b1 "switch" features?
- do we agree that "pgpool switch" will stop sending requests to the
primary (and thus send both reads and writes to the secondary) and "pgpool
-s secondary switch" will stop sending requests to the secondary (and thus
send both reads and writes to the primary)?
- how can one "restore" the primary or secondary without restarting pgpool
(explicitly or implicitly)?

I guess that's it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jacques.