[Pgpool-general] Re: pgpool scenario

Tatsuo Ishii t-ishii at sra.co.jp
Fri Dec 24 08:23:58 GMT 2004

[Cc: to pgpool-general mailing list]

> I have 2 box with the same db for the replication. I need a 3 box to run
> the pgpool ?

Let me make sure your question first. You have two boxes. Each box
runs postmaster. You want to run pgpool to make a replication setting
for these DBs. If my understanding is correct, the answer is "you
don't need third box to run pgpool". You can run pgpool on one of the
two boxes. For example if two postmaster run on host foo.somewhere.com
port 5432 and host bar.somewhere.com, then you could run pgpool on
foo.somewhere.com and pgpool.conf would look like:

port = 9999
backend_host_name = ''
backend_port = 5432
secondary_backend_host_name = 'bar.somewhere.com'
secondary_backend_port = 5432

then you could connect to pgpool on foo.somewhere.com port 9999.

> Can i run 3 times in the same machine the pgpool to serve 3 diffrent
> postgresql mirrors?

No. Currently pgpool does not support 3 servers or more.