[pgpool-hackers: 1452] Proposal: minimize process restart when fail over occurs

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Mon Mar 7 16:30:40 JST 2016

So this is a proposal for pgpool-II 3.6.

I already did some discussion on this:

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at postgresql.org>
Subject: [pgpool-hackers: 1413] Item #11, torward pgpool-II 3.6
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 12:03:12 +0900 (JST)

Here is a more or less formal proposal which is replacing it.

Goal:

Currently pgpool-II kills all child process when fail over (or switch
over by pcp_detach_node) occurs. Of course this leads to disconnecting
of all existing client connections because the peer process which
client is connecting is gone. This proposal is seeking a way to
minimize such session disconnections.

o Precondition:

I assume this proposal is for streaming replication mode only. Maybe
we could expand this for other modes in the future. I also assume the
broken server is not primary.

o Consideration:

What is the reason why we need to kill child process? Basically the
problem is the retry in the TCP/IP stack layer when the connection
goes wrong, for example, the network cable is pulled out. In this case
the only way to stop the retry is restarting the process.

There are several chances where we could avoid the restarting:

1) Knowing that we are not dealing with a fail over caused by the
cabling problem. There are at least two cases we know the problem is
not a cabling:

 a) the fail over is triggered by pcp_detach_node.

 b) the fail over is triggered by posmaster shutdown.

For other cases we need to find a way to know that the problem is a
cabling or not. Currently we use timeout to detect such that
situation. So if we could know if the timeout is occurred or not, then
we could know the problem is a cabling or not.

2) Once we succeed in #1, next thing we need to do is, whether a
session in question is using the broken server. This is fairly easy
because we already have the info on shared memory. If the session uses
the broken server, then we need to restart the process. No way. Other
case we just close a connection to the broken backend (if any).

o Things we need to do:

- Invent a way to know if the fail over request is created by
  pcp_detach_node. Probably we add a new flag to the fail over request
  packet to indicate whether the origin of the request is
  pcp_detach_node or not.

- The same technique above can be used for the admin PostgreSQL
  shutdown case.

- Create a API to deal with connections using the broken server.

o What are the benefit once above proposal is implemented?

- If conditions below are met, the user session can be survives after fail over.

 - Operated in streaming replication mode

 - The failed server is not primary

 - The session does not connect to the broken broken standby server

Comments, opinions?