[pgpool-hackers: 1617] Re: Redirecting queries to standby as much as possible

Yugo Nagata nagata at sraoss.co.jp
Fri Jun 10 15:58:55 JST 2016

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 15:13:19 +0900 (JST)
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at postgresql.org> wrote:

> Submitter of bug 195 (http://www.pgpool.net/mantisbt/view.php?id=195)
> wants to redirect queries to standby as much as possible if the
> transaction is read only. This brings up interesting conflicts to
> current behavior of pgpool-II:
>
> - the weight parameters of backend info needs to be ignored if the
>   transaction is read only
>
> - black and white function list need to be ignored if the transaction
>   is read only
>
> - database_redirect_preference_list needs to be ignored if the
>   transaction is read only
>
> - app_name_redirect_preference_list needs to be ignored if the
>   transaction is read only
>
> After all, if we don't want to confuse existing users in the use cases
> above, we need to invent a new switch to change the redirecting
> behavior depending on whether the transaction is read only or not.

I agree that to add new switch is good because it is simple and preserves
compatibility.

However, even in the current version, the priority of the above rules is
confusing. I think the priority rule should be summarized in the document
explicitly.

Yugo Nagata <nagata at sraoss.co.jp>