[pgpool-general: 8871] Re: Prepared statements over pgpool ?

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at sraoss.co.jp
Wed Jul 5 20:55:04 JST 2023

> Hello !
>
> I'm trying to use pgpool (4.4.3) to pool connections to postgresql, to
> enforce a lower max_connections.
>
> I'm getting errors on prepared statements from osm2pgsql, |Query is in
> the form `|||EXECUTE mark_rels_by_way(404720865)|`
> |

> |Errors logged by pgpool :
> |

> FATAL: unable to bind
>
> DETAIL: cannot get parse message "mark_rels_by_way"
>

> This looks a lot like an old unsolved issue from osm2pgsql
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/osm2pgsql/issues/878
>

> My current configuration include a single backend and
>
> backend_clustering_mode = 'raw'
>
> process_management_mode = dynamic
>
> process_management_strategy = lazy
>
> num_init_children = 150
>
> min_spare_children = 5
>
> max_spare_children = 20
>
> connection_cache = on
>

> Are prepared statements possible over pgpool ? (looks like they should
> be since documentation mention PREPARE/EXECUTE/DEALLOCATE commands)

Yes, pgpool supports PREPARE/EXECUTE/DEALLOCATE.

> Is there a specific configuration that breaks them ? or a specific
> configuration to allow them ?

No, they can be used without any specific configuration.

Can you share pgpool log with:

log_client_messages = on

This will reveal what osm2pgsql is sending to pgpool and will be
useful for investing the issue. Please make sure that the log file
includes all logs since "mark_rels_by_way" first appears so that I can
track how the messages are handled by pgpool.

Best reagards,
SRA OSS LLC