[pgpool-general: 8583] PGPool 4.3.3 hang when Postgres host stopped

Dave Sisk dave.sisk at bullhorn.com
Fri Feb 3 04:00:31 JST 2023

Hi folks...hope everyone is well.

I'm a former PGPool user and supporter from many prior years...I'm having
some problems with PGPool 4.3.3 w/ Postgres 14.5 on Debian 11.  Testing 3
node cluster using streaming replication, 1 primary and 2 standby's...a
similar configuration that I've used before with great success.

When we 'shutdown -h now' the db primary host, PGPool seems to hang for an
extended period of time.  It fails-over beautifully if I pcp_detach_node on
the db primary, it also fails-over beautifully if I stop the Postgres
primary instance.  However, shutting down the host yields a hung situation
for PGPool.

Can any advise on PGPool config parameters that I might set or change to
avoid this hung situation?

Thank you in advance,
Dave Sisk

--