[pgpool-general: 4318] How to test pgpool?

kiet.h.lieng kiet.h.lieng at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 15:00:34 JST 2016

I would appreciate some guidance if somebody can provide it.  The documentation tells me all the pieces but I still don’t get how they all fit together.

I have a 3 node setup. 1 master, 1 slave, pgpool.  I have pgpool running (9.4) and current using a master/slave setup.  How exactly does one test pgpool?

1. How exactly does it know weather to send something to master or slave node?  I’m aware of the load balancing feature.  What actually happens if I start a transaction and have 5 reads, 1 write, 4 more reads (in that order)?

2. Does pgpool have a way to pass credentials along to the db nodes?  I’m interested in the write being recorded for log / tracking issue.  Can I have it setup to where the user always authenticates or does PGPool use a singular user account to do reads / writes?  A scenario would be:
	A. user H hits pgpool and does a select, followed b an update.
  	B. user J hit’s pgpool and does an update.

It’s important that I track both users for auditing purposes.

Thanks in advance!