[pgpool-general: 3548] Re: health_check_period formula

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Wed Mar 18 18:21:18 JST 2015

>> > health_check_max_retries *
>> (health_check_timeout+health_check_retry_delay)"
>> > < health_check_period.

The formula was wrong. Sorry.

Actually you can set any value to health_check_period what ever values
are set to health_check_timeout, health_check_max_retries and
health_check_retry_delay.

So the settings:
>> > health_check_period = 30
>> > health_check_timeout = 5
>> > health_check_max_retries = 20
>> > health_check_retry_delay = 2

perfectly makes sense.

Here is what health checks works:

1) start a health check cycle

2) connect(2) to PostgreSQL backend

3) if #2 failed or did not respond within health_check_timeout seconds
   and health_check_max_retry reaches, the health check fails

4) if #2 success go to #7

5) sleep health_check_retry_delay seconds and count down
   health_check_max_retry counter

6) go to #2

7) sleep health_check_period seconds.

8) go to #1

As you can see, health_check_period does not affect a health check
cycle (#2 to #6).