[pgpool-general: 3821] Connection Failures Through pgpool Only

The Hills hillsangels2 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 19 10:43:25 JST 2015

Hi pgpoolers,

After a good unit test, I am having fundamental problems implementing
pgpool into integration-test where the real apps are. My system is not
connected to the internet in any way and I cannot cut and paste any
information, but I will try to fill in the gap by hand.Please help!

Problem 1Applications frequently get error 08006 (connection_failure)
and 08003 (connection_does_not_exist); they
                              occasionally get messages about threads no
longer connected to database.None of these transactions get thru.

Problem 2pgpool instances sometimes lockup/crash and cannot be accessed
from psql or pgp commands

Problem 3The standby nodes show up mostly as status 1 and 3, and only
occasionally as 2;  the primaries are generally at 2,
                              except for early startup which is 1.

Generally the applications all work fine when connecting directly to the
primary PG DB servers at 5432, and all databases can be accessed using
psql thru the db servers at port 5432, and thru the pgppol/tomcat
servers at 9999._The errors occur only when I change the application
data sources to go thru the pgpool servers at 9999. _Nothing in the PG
or pgpool logs show obvious authentications errors.

Background/details:

Systems Each test environment consists of 4 rhel6 HP blades, 8GB of RAM each

PgpoolTwo instances of v3.4 running independently on 2 severs shared w/
Tomcat (2GB dedicated; no watchdog; installed w/ RPMs

Potgresv9.3 on dedicated servers using PG streaming synchronous
replication; installed w/ tar files

My exp. lev.3m pgpool, 6m PG, 20+ yrs DBA; set up 9 sets of 4 servers so
far; 2 sets to go for the $!

Key settings:

Pg_hba.conf (as open as I can get it!):

# TYPEDATABASEUSERADDRESSMETHOD

localallalltrust

hostallall0.0.0.0/0trust

hostallpostgresql0.0.0.0/0trust

hostreplicationallxx.xx.xx.xx/32trust --> (only b/c PG insisted)

pgpool.conf:

listen_addresses = '*'

port = 9999

pcp_port = 9898

backend_hostname0 = 'abcdefgh'

backend_port1 = 5432

backend_weight0 = 1

backend_data_directory0 = '/data/ABCDFF1'

backend_flag0 = 'ALLOW_TO_FAILOVER'

backend_hostname1 = 'abcdefgh'

backend_port1 = 5432

backend_weight1 = 1

backend_data_directory1 = '/data/ABCDEF1'

backend_flag1 = 'ALLOW_TO_FAILOVER'

enable_pool_hba = off

replication_mode = off

load_balance_mode = on

master_slave_mode = on

master_slave_sub_mode = 'stream' (warning msg in log says system is not
streaming)

parallel_mode = off

Loaded these into db01:

psql -h localhost -U postgres -W -f pgpool-recovery.sql dbname

psql -h localhost -U postgres -W -f pgpool-regclass.sql dbname

Thanks.

Mike Hill
Lockheed Martin Corp.
Herndon, VA