[pgpool-general: 2854] Re: PGPool Nodes with different schemas

Tatsuo Ishii ishii at postgresql.org
Tue May 20 07:14:01 JST 2014

> Hi,
>
> I want to offload a write-heavy job from one of our Postgres DB servers.
> Currently, this job writes data to its own tables and has its own schema (let's call it schema1).
> However, this job relies on metadata from another schema (call it schema2) within the same database.
> So basically, I want to replicate schema2 to another DB server and perform this write-heavy job on that new server.
>
> I've done some initial testing using PGPool and it does support the configuration that I want.
> Config (3 servers to start with):
>
> 1. node1 (master) - Postgres DB with schema2 only
> 2. node2 (slave) - Postgres DB with both schema1 and schema2
> 3. PGPool server replicates schema2 data to both node1 and node2

I assume you are using pgpool-II's native replication mode.
(not PostgreSQL's streaming replication).

> My questions:
> 1. First, is PGPool be the best solution for this type of project?
> If not, could you recommend any other better/alternative solutions if any?

As far as I know slony is better suited for this kind of
purpose. Pgpool-II is not best solution because of your concern below #2.

> 2. How do I recover node2 in case of a failure with this configuration?
> I believe the recovery process overwrites the entire database and schema1 would be lost.

There's no way to prevent the recovery process from overwriting the
whole database unless you write a very smart recovery script.

> 3. Would the write-heavy load on node2 impact the performance of PGPool replication to the master node1?

No. However DB clients have to wait until writing to both master and
slave finishes.