[pgpool-general: 2807] sql after an inactive psql session causes failover

Gary Fu gfu at sigmaspace.com
Tue May 6 06:23:28 JST 2014

Hi,

We are running pgpool 3.3.2 with replication and load balance both on,
on a new server with postgres 9.2.8 on two separated db servers.  We
noticed that when we issue a simple sql (select * from config) on a psql
session (connect to pgpool) without activities (idle) for more than 20
or 30 minutes, the sql will hang for about several minutes (maybe more
than 5 or 10 minutes) and then come back with a new connection after the
pgpool failover.  During that period, there is no problem to make new
psql connection.  We don't see the problem with an old pgpool server (on
different subnet), same pgpool.conf, connects to the same db servers
with different dbs.  I think it is the network/tcpip configuration
and/or firewall issues,  but I'm not export on network (the sysctl
command shows no difference between the two pgpool servers) and no
access to firewall setup.  I don't know how to find out the real cause.
Can anyone provide any help/hint ?

Thanks,
Gary