[pgpool-general: 2952] Re: Restart Postgresql service

Alexandru Cardaniuc cardaniuc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 07:54:06 JST 2014

Hi Tatsuo,

Have a question about health check parameters. This is my config right
now:

health_check_period = 60
health_check_timeout = 15
health_check_max_retries = 3
health_check_retry_delay = 1
search_primary_node_timeout = 10

So, here's my understanding.
Every 60 seconds a health check will be run.

Each healthcheck will try to connect to a backend and if it can't it
will try for 15 seconds before it considers the health check as failed?

If the first health check failed it will wait 1 second and retry?

The second health check will also be for 15 seconds (assuming that the
node is down)?

And then the third retry same way?

So, if a backend actually went offline, then within 47 (15 + 1 + 15 + 1
+ 15) seconds, the backend will be detached?

The documentation is a little confusing on that subject...

Appreciate responses on this matter.

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii at postgresql.org> writes:

>> Hi! Almost every time I restart backend postgresql service ( while
>> pgpool is working ) it causes pgpool to mark this node as failed. So
>> I'm wondering if there is some 'proper' way to restart postgresql
>> backends ( without stopping pgpool service ) which doesn't break the
>> cluster.
>
> You can tweak health check parameters. For example,
>
> health_check_max_retries = 10 health_check_retry_delay = 1
>
> Also make sure that you restart PostgreSQL with "fast" mode.
>
> Best regards,
> Japanese: http://www.sraoss.co.jp

"The price of freedom is responsibility, but it's a bargain, because
freedom is priceless."
- Hugh Downs