[Pgpool-general] Regarding the ProcessFrontendResponse error

Jaume Sabater jsabater at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 12:04:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Jaume Sabater <jsabater at gmail.com> wrote:

> But these did not produce any error. Now I've been talking to two
> programmers and they have told me they are using the npgsql driver
> version 2.0.2 from http://pgfoundry.org/projects/npgsql/. We all
> believe the stuff posted above must be the driver's fault, but I
> wanted you guys to give me your opinion. I don't like having error
> messages on my log, even if they "can be ignored".

Just executed these:

createdb -h postgresql -p 9999 -U pgpool2 bench_replication
createlang -h postgresql -p 9999 -U pgpool2 -d bench_replication plpgsql
pgbench -h postgresql -p 9999 -U pgpool2 -d bench_replication -c 2 -t 100

And got these on the PostgreSQL log on the second node:

2009-02-19 12:55:28 CET LOG:  statement: select count(*) from branches
2009-02-19 12:55:28 CET ERROR:  relation "branches" does not exist
2009-02-19 12:55:28 CET STATEMENT:  select count(*) from branches
2009-02-19 12:55:28 CET LOG:  statement:  DISCARD ALL

And this on the syslog from pgpool-II:

Feb 19 12:55:28 pgsql1 pgpool: LOG:   pid 646:
ProcessFrontendResponse: failed to read kind from frontend. frontend
abnormally exited

As we discussed in a previous thread, pgpool-II is propagating the
error from the PostgreSQL servers to the client, which is what it has
to do. Therefore, I should not be worried about this error or about
the error that was reported in the previous post.

Correct? Thoughts? Comments? :)

--
Jaume Sabater
http://linuxsilo.net/